So you have been watching your kid coughing all day and wish you could help the situation but you do not want to use over-the-counter cough medications to stop any potential side effects they may have. Well, follow our home remedies for dry cough guide to see how you can treat them using everyday items.
We all know how irritating and sore a dry throat can be and left untreated can cause pains in the chest from coughing and can even wake you up in your sleep or make it hard to get to sleep in the first place.
What Is Causing My Toddlers Cough
Flu – We all hate this virus as it takes a good while to go and will eventually turn to a wet cough.
Pollutants – Your toddler can be affected by pollutants in the air such as chemicals from paints, car fumes and more nasty particles that your toddler’s delicate lungs cant process.
Whooping Cough – Sometimes called pertussis this is a serious illness which your toddler should always be vaccinated for but this can still affect some toddlers and babies.
Croup – This nasty respiratory infection is also called laryngotracheobronchitis and can lead to your child’s windpipe to swell up and sometimes cause difficulty breathing.
Cold – The common cold is normally the culprit for coughs in babies and kids and your young child will also get a runny or stuffy nose at the same time.
Top 5 Home Remedies For Coughs In Babies & Kids
So after we have told you the causes of what causes a dry cough its time to serve you with the fixes for this problem so your toddler can be well on his/her way to recovery.
- Water – Make sure your child has plenty of water as this will keep the throat moist and soothe a tender sore dry throat
- Soup – If you can feed your toddler some soup that contains garlic as this has many antiviral properties allowing them to get/feel better faster
- Steam – You can loosen up and moisten your child’s throat and nasal passage by having them sit in a steamy bathroom for 5 minutes or using a Humidifier in the same room.
- Honey – You can give your child a teaspoon of honey or mix the honey in some herbal tea or warm water. Some claim this works better than most over the counter medication for dry coughs. (Make sure your child is over 1 years old)
- Cough Drops – This will help soothe the child’s throat but only give to your child they are aged 3 years and above due to the risk of choking.
Things You Will Need For The Home Remedy
- Chicken Soup With Garlic In
So there you have it our guide on treating dry coughs for toddlers so they can get back up to speed again in no time without potential side effects of over the counter medication. Don’t forget to give this a share to help other mums.